Task 1. Երանի տվեք այս իրավիճակներում:
- I want to enter the UWC in Dilijan. – I wish I could enter the UWC in Dilijan.
- I would like to have enough money to start a journey around the world. – I wish I had enough money to start a journey around the world.
- You can make so many delicious dishes. I can’t. – I wish I could make many delicious dishes like you.
- I can’t read Shakespeare in the original. – I wish I could read Shakespeare in the original.
- I envy those who can speak several foreign languages. – I wish I could speak several foreign languages like other people.
Our previous lesson was devoted to paraphrasing. Now we are going to express the same idea of a sentence by changing it grammatically.
Express the same idea with the given beginning.
- They forbid us to smoke in public places.
Smoking is forbidden in public places.
2. After he had filled in the form, he handed it to the receptionist, at once.
Once the form had been filled in, he handed it to the receptionist immediately.
3. You can improve your pronunciation if you listen to original recordings.
Listening to original recordings can improve your pronunciation.
4. The book impressed me more than the film.
The book was more impressive than the film.
5. Since we didn’t know his new address, we couldn’t visit him.
Not knowing his new address, we weren’t able to visit him.
6. Being very tired he couldn’t continue working.
As he was very tired, he was not able to continue working.
7. She is not old enough to get married.
She is too young to get married.
8. He will only come to the meeting if he makes a final decision.
He won’t come to the meeting until he makes a final decision.
9. Can dogs get on the bus?
Are dogs allowed on the bus?
- Think over the following sayings and give your own ideas:
Fortune favors the bold.
To me this saying means, that people who take risks get rewarded. If you want to achieve your goals in life, you cannot wait that the fortune will bring it to you, you have to overcome all of the obstacles along the way in order to make them happen.
Out of sight out of mind.
Out of sight out of mind means that you easily forget things/people that are no longer there.
Never say never.
Never say never, because you never know what will happen in the future or in your life, which will change your mind or decisions.
God helps those who help themselves.
When someone is trying their best to achieve a goal in their life, God helps them to reach that goal with their hard work.
Beggars can’t be choosers.
People should take what they are given, and not ask for more or offer something else. instead.
All that glitters is not gold.
Things that look perfect on the outside, might not be the same on the inside. This can refer to either things or people.
Actions speak louder than words.
You shouldn’t focus on the words that people say, or the promises they make, because you never know if they will be put into action.